I love the crunch of a shortbread style biscuit, add ginger and spices, a dob of chocolate and make them Gluten Free and we have a winning biscuit on all levels.
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 10 mins
Total time 25 mins
½ cup oat flour
2/3 cup rice flour
⅓ cup buckwheat flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
⅛ tsp ground cloves
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
3 tabs butter, at room temperature
3 tabs soft coconut oil
4 tabs golden syrup or honey
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
100g dark chocolate
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the butter, oil, molasses and sugar until combined then add and beat the egg and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat until combined. Form into a log shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. It’s critical that the dough is thoroughly chilled, before you cut into biscuits.
- Roll the log to even out the edges. Use a sharp knife to slice ½ cm biscuits. Carefully transfer them to a lined baking tray using a knife or spatula.
- Bake in oven preheated 170°C for about 10 minutes or up to 15 minutes for a crunchier cookie. Let the cookies cool for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and drop approximately ½ tsp onto each biscuit.
If you don’t have oat flour, just put wholegrain oats into your food processor and process till you have flour.
These biscuits freeze well. When they have cooled down completely place them in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag and freeze them.